In order to guarantee vehicle groups passing intersections in the most efficient, sustainable, and safe manner, optimization algorithms are used to calculate the optimal signal states of an intersection using a predetermined set of KPIs as well as vehicle positional data.
Monotch’s robust open-ecosystem solution contributes to cutting down the unnecessary waiting times at red lights and helps everyone reach their destinations faster than before!
HOW IT WORKS
When approaching a signalized intersection, a vehicle’s OBU/APP sends positional data to its service platform, which is then forwarded onto the TLEX platform. The TLEX platform then redirects these data to the traffic light controller (TLC). The TLC’s inbuilt optimization algorithm then uses the positional data as well as a predetermined set of KPIs set by the road authority to calculate and change the signal state plan to allow the optimal flow of traffic through the intersection.
The proven benefits of this use case includes:
- The improved crossing efficiency across several consecutive intersections
- Reduction of waiting times
- Reduced emissions
The positive impact of this use case can be observed for signal groups going from one main road to another:
- For 32% of these signal groups there was a decrease in the average number of lost vehicle hours (VVU), while for 21% the VVU increased;
- For 43% of the signal groups that was a decreased in the average travel time across intersection, while travel time increased for 17%;
- The number of vehicles that have to wait unnecessarily decreased significantly in 70% of the signal groups, and increased in only 17% of the signal groups;
- The average total time that vehicles have to wait unnecessarily decreased in 49% of the cases, while it increased in 34% of cases.